This "gateway" course is an introduction to college majors and minors. The course is titled Communication in an Information Age. The course is designed to meet the following objectives:
- Develop a basic understanding of mediated and non-mediated communication.
- Learn how communication and information industries are funded.
- Understand the historical developments in key communication and information industries.
- Gain awareness of the interactive relationships between communication and information systems and the social, political, legal, and economic forces surrounding them.
- Identify ways in which digital technologies are transforming communication and information systems and processes.
- Become a more enlightened consumer of mediated and non-mediated messages.
- Gain an understanding of professional options open to those who earn majors and minors offered through the University of Tennessee College of Communication and Information.
A copy of a recent syllabus for the course is available below: